ANALYSIS OF PRODUCTIVITY AND TECHNICAL EFFI-CIENCY IN GRANITE AGGREGATE PRODUCTION IN SE-LECTED QUARRIES IN SOUTH-WESTERN, NIGERIA

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Melodi, M. M. and Akande, V. O. (2020) ANALYSIS OF PRODUCTIVITY AND TECHNICAL EFFI-CIENCY IN GRANITE AGGREGATE PRODUCTION IN SE-LECTED QUARRIES IN SOUTH-WESTERN, NIGERIA. Topical scientific researches into resource-saving technologies of mineral mining and processing. pp. 166-181.

[img] Text
11 Melodi MM (1).pdf

Download(239kB)

Title in English

ANALYSIS OF PRODUCTIVITY AND TECHNICAL EFFI-CIENCY IN GRANITE AGGREGATE PRODUCTION IN SE-LECTED QUARRIES IN SOUTH-WESTERN, NIGERIA

English abstract

This research analysed the productivity and technical efficiency in the granite aggregate production and also investigated the causes of inefficiencies in selected quarries across the south western region of Nigeria using stochastic frontier produc-tion function which incorporates a model of inefficiency effect. This was achieved through the collection of secondary data with a careful and thoughtful review of literature. The technical efficiency was estimated using Software for Statistics and Data Science (STATA). It was determined that the mean monthly granite production is 17,854.23 tonnes and about 86% of Mean production was influenced by the fac-tors of production used in the study. The result also shows that 100% of the variation in quarries’ output was due to inefficiencies on the part of the production processes rather than random variability. Variables such as total number of equipment, mean days of weekly use, number of skilled staff and quantity of fuel used per month, are factors which positively influence the output of the quarries, an investment on equipment would increase productivity and allows for continuity of operation against possible breakdown. The mean efficiency estimate of 68.4% is an indication that there is a chance to improve production. The implication of the study is that efficiency in granite aggregate production among the quarries could be increased by 31.6%. Factors such as age of equipment, availability of engineers for repair and number of working hours per day were found to be the sources of technical ineffi-ciency. It is recommended that provision should be made by stakeholders investing in the quarries to provide access to affordable production inputs for an effective improvement in the level of efficiency among quarries.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Technical Efficiency, Granite, Quarry, Productivity, stochastic frontier
Бібліографічний опис: Melodi M. M. Analysis of productivity and technical efficiency in granite aggregate production in selected quarries in south-western, Nigeria / M. M. Melodi, V. O. Akande // Topical scientific researches into resource-saving technologies of mineral mining and processing. Multi-authored monograph. – Sofia : Publishing House “St. Ivan Rilski”, 2020. - P. 166-181.
Subjects: За напрямами > 05 - Інженерія > 0503 - Розробка корисних копалин
Depositing User: С. В. Бойчук
Date Deposited: 12 May 2020 08:31
Last Modified: 12 May 2020 08:31
URI: http://ep3.nuwm.edu.ua/id/eprint/18011

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year